Here’s some information we thought you should know about!
According to the VDACS website as of November 4, 2016, (that’s when we noticed the update), “Due to budget reductions, VDACS is unable to make payments from the Beehive Grant Fund for fiscal year 2017.”
In 2012, the Virginia General Assembly created the Beehive Grant Fund for the purpose of promoting the establishment of new beehives in the Commonwealth.
Individuals interested in applying for a Beehive Grant should review the Beehive Grant Fund Guidelines and Requirements. Application instructions are included in this document. Applicants must submit a valid receipt(s) for the purchase of qualifying equipment and a completed Commonwealth of Virginia Substitute W-9 form.
Grants are awarded in the order in which each completed application to the Beehive Grant Program is received. In the event that the amount requested from the fund exceeds the amount of funds available, such grants shall be paid in the next fiscal year in which funds are available.
- Any individual who either purchases a new hive or purchases materials or supplies to construct a new hive may apply for a grant from the Fund.
- Each grant shall be in the amount of actual expenses incurred for the purchase of items to establish a new hive up to $200 per hive, not to exceed $2,400 per individual per year.
- Only residents of the Commonwealth of Virginia who are 18 years of age or older at the time the application is submitted are eligible to receive a grant from the Fund.
- Funds received through the Beehive Grant Program are subject to state and federal taxes.
- New hives funded through this program, either fully or in part, shall be installed and remain within the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Non-qualified items include, but are not limited to, hand or electric tools, honey bees or queens, hive stands, raw materials used to fabricate a hive component, used hive components, and personal apparel or equipment. Note: Lumber used to fabricate a hive component is a non-qualified item.
- Qualified items must be used to establish a new hive with a viable colony of honey bees within one year of the date the items were purchased.
- Qualified items must be purchased from beekeeping supply stores and other such vendors, or from beekeeping clubs or associations. Receipts must clearly show vendor or beekeeping
- A new hive shall consist of a minimum of two deep hive boxes with frames and foundation, a bottom board, and cover (for a Langstroth-style hive), or a hive of equivalent capacity that has movable frames with combs or foundation that cause the bees to construct brood combs and that may be removed from the hive without injuring other combs.
- A qualifying purchase must include all of the following qualified items, provided the items are used to establish a new hive:
- – Hive box or boxes
- – Frames for the purchased hive box(es)
- – Foundation for frames purchased for the hive box(es)
- The following items will also qualify if purchased in conjunction with the items above:
- – Bottom board
- – Inner cover
- – Outer cover
- – Queen Excluder
- – Entrance Reducer
- – Feeder
- Requests for grants from the Fund may be submitted electronically to the Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (VDACS) utilizing the online application that is accessible at http://www.vdacs.virginia.gov/plant-industry-services-beehive-grant- program.shtml.